As an Athletic Therapist I have worked with athletes as young a 8 to those who are still going past 40. Clinically I have treated patients who have suffered injuries at work, from motor vehicle accidents to seniors looking to maintain their mobility. No matter who the patient or athlete is they all receive that same care. The goal for everyone is to get them back to sport or their normal life as soon as possible.
Athletic Therapists use an active model of care that includes contemporary rehab techniques, therapeutic modalities such as ultrasound, IFC, EMS, soft tissue mobilization, physical reconditioning and supportive taping. We do everything to create an ideal environment for healing so that our patients and athletes can return to activity safely.
You will find Athletic Therapists working in a variety of areas including:
- Private sports medicine and therapy clinics
- Professional sports, such as the NHL, CFL, NBA, MLB
- Elite games, such as the Olympics, Pan Am, Canada Games
- Teaching or research at universities and colleges
- Minor, high school, amateur and varsity athletics
- Professional dance companies
- Sales and marketing for performance and rehabilitation brands
- Municipal government
- Industrial workplaces
- Insurance industry
So while many of us work with athletes on a daily basis in a field setting, we also deal with the weekend warrior, the new mom recovery from pregnancy, the airport rampee who got hurt at work and the senior recovering after a knee replacement. No matter your level of activity, no matter your job, no matter your level of sport, Athletic Therapists are there to get you back in the game.