Monday 9 December 2013

Surviving the Holidays

"Oh the noise, noise, noise, noise"  Yep maybe the Grinch had it right this whole holiday season is just crazy.  With the hustle and bustle, the parties, cookie exchanges (don't worry we will talk about that next week), the shopping and the fact that every year the holiday season seems to start earlier and earlier.  AHHHHHHHHHHHHH.   Can we just put the whole thing on hold for just a minute, I think I am going to go insane.

So where to start, how do we survive the holidays.  Quite simply just let it happen.  Don't worry if the tree isn't perfect, or the kids made a mess decorating cookies.  That is the joy of Christmas.  When I was growing up we always had real trees, I mean Charlie Brown trees.  For years I wanted Dad to pick up the big bushy, full trees like you see on TV.  So one year he did, it just wasn't right.  It was too perfect.

Go with the flow.  Yes the kids are going to go absolutely berserk.  This year we have a 3 year old and our baby will be celebrating his first Christmas, and the 3 year old has figured what this is all about.  She discovered the Wish Book this year and can't wait to tell Santa what she wants.  I'm not sure if she will make it to Christmas and I am not sure if my tree (yes my, the tree is mine, my baby, I decorate it, I sit by it, I love it) will make it through the 11 month old.

Take time for yourself.  Each day, do something for you.  Take a yoga class.  Enjoy a glass of wine and some cookies.  Take a walk in the snow, enjoy the beauty around you.  I enjoy sitting alone, staring at my tree.  That is my down time, my time to regroup.  Tonight, involves my decorated house, Garth Brooks Live
(I love PVR), and work.  For me getting time to share with everyone how to keep their families safe, gives me joy.  Find a way to get your joy.

Enjoy it. Enjoy your family and friends.  The dressing up for parties, the shopping, and cooking.  The joy on kids faces when they see Santa, or when what they asked for is under the tree.  Enjoy spending time with people you don't get to see all the time be it family or friends.  Just enjoy it.

Don't sweat the small stuff or the big stuff.  Find time to enjoy what is going on around you.  Don't forget your daytimer, because you are going to need it and I hope to see you on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment